Standards of Conduct
Respect, confidence, cooperation, integrity, enthusiasm, commitment, creativity, tolerance, and independence are necessary for every Mission Team to achieve its goal!
- Make sure that everyone feels comfortable expressing his or her ideas, free from criticism and teasing.
- No secret organizations or subgroups.
- We encourage at least two-deep leadership in all activities, to ensure appropriate guidance and group management at all times.
Lead by example:
- Dress appropriately. Maintain a tidy appearance for field trips or when representing FoGE.
- Treat all youths and fellow volunteers with courtesy and respect.
- Use appropriate language.
- Respect the privacy of of youths and fellow volunteers.
- No one-on-one contact between unrelated Team Leaders and youths. This will prevent the appearance of favoritism or sexual harassment.
Dealing With Behavioral Challenges
- Team Leaders and volunteers will not discipline youths by the use of physical punishment or by failure to provide the basic necessities of care, such as food or shelter.
- The Team Leader should share behavioral problems with the Deputy Team Leader, appointed school representative, and the youth's parent(s) or guardian(s).
- Any problems will be dealt with in strict confidence.
FoGE strongly discourages actions or language by adult volunteers or youth members that creates a hostile environment:
- Sexual Harassment. This may include unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
- Harassment or discrimination based on race, religion, country of origin, disabilities, or sexual orientation.
- Harassment by youth members should be treated as a behavioral problem (see Dealing With Behavioral Challenges above).
Sexual Harassment Quiz
- Would you say it to your mother, wife, daughter/ father, husband, son?
- Would you want anyone else to say it to your mother, wife, or daughter/ father, husband, or son?
- Would you want your mother, wife, or daughter/ father, husband, or son to over hear it?
- Would you want your family member to file a complaint?
Abuse and Neglect
- FoGE reserves the right to suspend any individual accused of child abuse until any allegations have been cleared.
- FoGE reserves the right to refuse reappointment and to dismiss or exclude any volunteer who is found guilty of child abuse and/or neglect, or who has been convicted of child abuse and/or neglect.
- FoGE supports and maintains environments that are free of child abuse and/or neglect. It is against FoGE's policy for any volunteer to physically, mentally, or sexually abuse and/or neglect any child.
It is the policy of the Federation of Galaxy Explorers that the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances is not permitted at Mission Team meetings or activities on property owned and or operated by FoGE or at any activity involving participation of youth members.
Smoking is not permitted on property owned and or operated by FoGE. Observe all smoking restrictions maintained by schools and other public properties. Do not smoke in the vicinity of youth members.
FoGE Volunteer Safety Standards
FoGE Team Member Standards of Conduct and Safety