- All drivers must have a valid driver's license that has not been suspended or revoked for any reason. If the vehicle to be used is designed to carry more than 15 persons (including the driver), the driver must have a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- The driver must be at least 20 years old. Additionally, the following conditions apply for drivers transporting team members:
- Driver must have a minimum of two years driving experience as a licensed driver (time on a learner's permit or equivalent does not count toward the two years experience).
- Seat belts must be worn by all occupants.
- Passenger cars, station wagons, vans, or sport utility vehicles may be used to transport passengers, but passengers may not ride on the rear deck of moving vehicles. All passengers must be in secured seating equipped with seat belts.
- An adult leader (at least 21 years old) must be in charge and accompany the group.
- All Team Members must obtain written parental permission that acknowledges that the driver and leader will be transporting Members to an activity. Preprinted permission slips, made available through FoGE, are to be provided to all Team Members.
Observe the law:
- Do not exceed the speed limit.
- Do not tailgate or travel in close convoy.
- Yield at pedestrian crosswalks.
- Use due caution at railroad crossings, observing signals.
- Driving time is limited to a maximum of 6 hours, and trips must include frequent rest, food, and recreation stops. If there is only one qualified driver, driving time should be reduced and stops should be made more frequently.
A female adult volunteer must be present on field activities if any female Team Members are present.
- Overnight activities are not permitted by the Federation of Galaxy Explorers.
- Children may not be left alone, either individually or as a group. An adult leader must be in the vicinity at all times.
- Parents must provide written permission for field activities.
- A sufficient number of chaperones (check with school or sponsoring group for specific guidelines) must accompany Team Members on field activities.
- Know your equipment—use the proper equipment and use it correctly.
- Conduct your experiments in the appropriate environment (e.g., don't conduct outdoor experiments inside).
- Always wear appropriate safety equipment (e.g., safety goggles if there is a chance of flying debris or gloves if handling caustic materials).
- Clean up any messes.
- No horseplay during experiments.
- Know how to respond to an accident. All Galaxy Explorers should know where the first aid kit is kept. In any accident, remember to stop the experiment and tend to injuries or problems before resuming.
- Make sure your Team Members know and follow safety guidelines.
It is the policy of the Federation of Galaxy Explorers that the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances is not permitted at Mission Team meetings or activities on property owned and or operated by FoGE or at any activity involving participation of youth members.
Smoking is not permitted on property owned and or operated by FoGE. Observe all smoking restrictions maintained by schools and other public properties. Do not smoke in the vicinity of youth members.
FoGE Volunteer Standards of Conduct
FoGE Team Member Standards of Conduct and Safety